The commission is an organ with members working in different areas of Marine Geodesy.
The Commission Marine Geodesy aims:
To promote consultation between parties from science, government and industry in the field of Geo-Information and Geodesy applied to the maritime environment in order to:
- transfer of knowledge between science, government and industry;
- advising on knowledge development and research, tailored to the expected needs of the Dutch society for the maritime environment;
- promoting strategic reconnaissance, scenario studies and trend analyses with regard to the technical-scientific developments in this area and initiating research in this framework; such as also on behalf of the design of the geo-information policy of the government for the maritime domain.
The Commission wants to partly meet the science 2025 vision of the Ministry of education, culture and science, elaborated in the national research agenda, applied to the maritime domain. The importance of the marine environment is increasing for the themes of energy, raw materials, transport, climate and security. The Commission would like to contribute to an integrated maritime information system that has connection with the solid part of the earth’s surface.
Possible areas of focus:
The Commission wants to focus on the Blue Route: water as the way to innovation and sustainable growth. The Blue Route focuses on answering and connecting all questions concerning water. From this Blue Route, the Commission has put on the agenda the following questions:
- How can we make optimal use of rivers, lakes, seas and oceans for energy production?
- How can we with more efficient means of transport contribute to the efficiency and environmental friendliness of the transport system as a whole?
- How can we protect the society on a nature friendly way from flooding?
- How to measure and model the interaction between ice, atmosphere and ocean, so the sea level rise reliable can be predicted?
- How can we manage water carefully in the future?
- How can we protect and preserve the qualities of the subsurface for man and environment, while there remains space for social developments?
- How do perform oceans and seas and what is their meaning for the future?
- How can we increase the safety of traffic and transport?
- How can we make a bridge between different scales for modeling of dynamic systems, such as currents of and in liquids and gases? Within this ambition and focus areas, the Commission will develop activities to be determined in the areas of knowledge development, knowledge transfer, external cooperation and internal organizations as defined in the NCG policy plan 2017-2022.